Supporters of a push to improve civics education are asking residents to voice their support for two bills currently before the Illinois General Assembly.
Members of the Illinois House Education Committee will consider the legislation at a hearing at 8 a.m. on march 25. Both bills were introduced by Rep. Deb Conroy, D-Villa Park.
Shawn Healy, chair of the Illinois Civics Mission Coalition, is asking residents to file a digital appearance in support of these bills prior to the hearing. His nonpartisan group seeks to prepare students for active participation in American democracy.
Interested parties can speak up by logging onto www.ilga.gov and following these steps:
- Scroll down the page and click "GA Dashboard" (in red ink along the left side of the page.
- Click the "Register" button in the left-side navigation. You will need to verify your email address through your personal account.
- Once you have verified your account, you will be returned to the ILGA system to log in with your password. From there, you will be prompted to enter profile information.
- Click "House" on the left-hand menu, then "Committee Hearings." Then, in the new window, select "Week" tab.
- For HB4025, scroll to Committee Hearings on 3/25/15 and find "Elementary & Secondary Education: School Curriculum and Policies Committee."
- Click the paper icon to the right of the listed hearing.
- Advance through the pages to find HB4025. Click "Create Witness Slip" located on the right right, next to the bill.
- Your identification information will reappear. Scroll down to Section III. POSITION and click "Proponent."
- Under Section IV. TESTIMONY, select "Record of Appearance Only."
- Click "Create (Slip)."
- Follow to new window. From there, click "Create Another Witness Slip" for HB4024.
- Click "House" on the left-hand column. Then click "Committee Hearings." Then, in the new window, select the "Week" tab.
- For HB4024, advance to Committee Hearings on 3/25/15 and find "Elementary & Secondary Education: Licensing Oversight." Create "Proponent" Slip.
- Click "I Am Finished" to submit.